- 1 What is a electronic cigarette ?
- 2 What are the different types of electronic cigarettes?
- 3 What is sub-ohm vape?
- 4 What is the difference between indirect and direct vaping?
- 5 What is the correct level of nicotine with an electronic cigarette?
- 6 What is the difference between a Freebase e-liquid and nicotine salts?
- 7 Does science and medicine recommend the electronic cigarette?
- 8 Does Nicotine Cause Cancer?
What is a electronic cigarette ?
An electronic cigarette or e-cigarette is a device for vaporizing a solution of liquid, called e-liquid. It can take different forms such as a pod, an AIO (All in One) kit, a Mod and an atomizer. Electronic cigarettes are one of the main tools to quit smoking.
What are the different types of electronic cigarettes?
There are 3 main types of electronic cigarette which are available in several sub-categories.
- The Pod – An example of a Pod is a Juul. You have a plastic device that can use a cartridge. This cartridge can be disposable or refillable. The Pod is recommended for beginners, as they are suitable for high doses of nicotine. They are also compact and their maintenance is very easy. The downside to pods is their long-term reliability and the disposable cartridges don’t allow you to pour in the liquid you want.
- The AIO Kit – An example of an AIO kit is the Eleaf Basal. The AIO electronic cigarette can come in one device or in two parts. The first is the battery that can be recharged with a USB plug. The second part is the atomizer which accommodates the coil and the liquid. More reliable and versatile than the pod, the AIO kit is also less expensive in the long run. Because it allows you to replace your own coils and your own liquids.
- The Sub-Ohm Kit – This is the kit to choose from once you are an experienced vaper and know how to vape DL. This time, the atomizer (also known as a tank) and the mod are in two well-separated parts. And in the electronic cigarette sector, a standard has established itself as the 510 pin. It is the hardware that connects the atomizer to a mod. This means that a mod from any brand will work with an atomizer from any brand.
- The RTA and the RDA – RTA for Rebuildable Tank Atomizer and RDA for Rebuildable Dripper Atomizer. Only suitable for experienced vapers. RTA and RDA allow you to build your own coils with what are called resistive wires. You have Kanthal, Nichrome80 and stainless steel. The difference in its wires will determine the power of your resistance expressed in ohms, but also the flavor and the production of vapor. The RTA has a tank where you can put the liquid while the RDA requires that we put liquid regularly as a dropper hence the name (Dripper which comes from Drip).
- The Squonker or Bottom Feeder – Also known as a BF, the Squonker is a box that contains a tank. You put a dripper with a hollow 510 connector on it. A BF Mod allows you to use a Dripper without having to constantly add drops of liquid. Only for advanced users.
What is sub-ohm vape?
The sub-ohm vaping often designates an atomizer whose coils are less than 1 ohm. In the electronic cigarette, the higher the resistance, the more it will withstand a high nicotine level. So in pods and AIO kits, you will usually have coils above 1 ohm. Below 1 ohm, you arrive in the direct vape. Direct vaping allows more vapor to be produced, but it is not intended for highly nicotine liquids. Because a sub-ohm vape allows you to vape a large amount of liquid. Thus, the sub-ohm vaping is often practiced from 0 to 3 mg.
What is the difference between indirect and direct vaping?
Indirect vaping allows you to have a feeling similar to a cigarette. You inhale, you keep the vapor in your mouth, and you swallow. It is also known as MTL (Mouth to Lung). Direct vaping allows you to suck directly into the lungs. It’s like sucking through the atomizer. We know it as DL (Direct Lung).
Direct vaping produces a lot more vapor. All smokers who switch to electronic cigarettes will use indirect vaping first. And then, they can go to the DL. Note that it depends on each vaper. Direct vaping is not mandatory.
What is the correct level of nicotine with an electronic cigarette?
Each smoker will have their own nicotine level. An average measure is to consider that it takes 1 mg of nicotine for a cigarette. If you smoke 1 packet per day, then you need between 12 and 20 mg of nicotine. However, the level of nicotine in a liquid may not give the right measure, as it is the level of nicotine per day that you mainly need to look at. A tobacco specialist or addictologist can determine the level of nicotine you need.
And if you start the electronic cigarette, you will be able to determine your nicotine level after a few days. For example, if you need 100 milligrams of nicotine per day, then you can take a 10 milliliter vial at 18 mg of nicotine. And you will vape around 6 mg (6 x 18 = 108 mg). If you are vaping 3 mg of nicotine, then you will need to vape about 33 milliliters of liquid per day.
What is the difference between a Freebase e-liquid and nicotine salts?
Nicotine salts are recent on the market. A Freebase liquid indicates a liquid where nicotine molecules flow freely. They are not attached to any other component. Nicotine salts are attached to other molecules to facilitate their metabolism by the body. The higher the level of nicotine in a liquid, the more you will have a high “hit” in the throat. The Hit is the little tingling in the throat when you smoke a cigarette. And we will have the same feeling with a nicotine e-liquid.
Some smokers need a high dose of nicotine, but they cannot tolerate high strength liquids. Nicotine salt allows you to get a high dose of nicotine with a lower hit. It’s easy to compare. Take regular 20 mg e-liquid and 20 mg nicotine salt as well and you will immediately see the difference in the throat hit. Another difference is that metabolism via nicotine salts is much faster than liquid Freebase.
Does science and medicine recommend the electronic cigarette?
A clear-cut consensus is still lacking on e-cigarettes, but this has mostly to do with policy and ideological issues. But more and more doctors are recommending electronic cigarettes. The British authorities estimate that the electronic cigarette is 95% less dangerous than the cigarette by combustion. In addition, a clinical trial in early 2019 showed that electronic cigarettes are twice as effective for smoking cessation compared to nicotine patches and gum. We recommend that you read our summary of the main scientific studies on electronic cigarettes.
Does Nicotine Cause Cancer?
Contrary to popular belief, nicotine does not cause cancer. It causes addiction, but cancer is caused by the 4,000 other chemicals that are present in cigarettes such as tar or benzene. And since it’s an addictive substance, then nicotine is just as dangerous as caffeine or gambling. Its impact on health is just as minimal although addiction can lead to excess. If nicotine was dangerous, then medicine would not recommend nicotine patches or gums. What is dangerous is the combustion of thousands of chemicals in cigarettes, not the nicotine.